Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Privoxy and Tor

I have been trying out Privoxy [*] and Tor for the last couple of days. The initial thrill of knowing that I was now browsing with complete (well, almost) anonymity has worn off. Now I am beginning to get put off by the cost of this anonymity, i.e. the speed penalty introduced because of Tor's encryption and the multiple hops. Sometimes it takes pretty long to load a page (need to check whether this has something to do with the packet loss suffered by Asian routers yesterday). I have half a mind to turn off at least Tor, but the psychological effect of exposing my identity stops me. Not that there's anything to hide about my browsing habits, of course. Honest. Really.

[*] Tip: If you are using Suse 9.1, do not install the one carried by YaST. Results in 503 errors. Download it directly from the Privoxy site.