Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Long time no release

It's been more than a year since I let loose v0.4 of Vajra on an unsuspecting public. I haven't been exactly idle all this time; I am integrating Vajra with Classpath, but this effort has been besotted with a lot of hurdles. I have been plugging away, taking care of bugs exposed because of the pretty extensive working over given to the code by Classpath (and also adding a lot of defensive code that will enable me to catch the next [inevitable] bug). There have also been long spells when I didn't do anything at all with the code.

I wanted to at least release a version that doesn't depend on Classpath (but uses Vajra's minimal class library instead), but the code seems to have become inseparably bound to Classpath that it is not worth the effort to put in temporary code just for releasing something.

Currently my aim is to take the integration to the point where I am able to emit a "Hello World" using Classpath's System.out.println and then call it a day. I think I will try to join the Squeak team (the VM team, that is) if they will have me. That would be a best-of-all-the-worlds scenario for me: Smalltalk + system programming. Something to aim for...