Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Now I know how Robin Williams' character felt

... in Good Will Hunting.

I am an average IITian. I am not the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. My net worth is nothing to write home about. I have not won any awards, either for my distinguished career, or for my efforts for the betterment of mankind.

Having said that, I still consider it fscking demeaning that a billionaire alumnus will contribute an amount to the alumni growth fund, an amount that will match the sum total of all the contributions other 'ordinary' IITians will make, provided that they do so by a certain deadline. It's almost like saying "Ha! Is that all you plebes could come up with? Watch me match it from my loose change".

The true way of showing gratitude and affection for your alma mater is to write a cheque, for an amount that you arrive at on your own, without indulging in any one-upmanship or putting down others.