Thursday, December 22, 2005

In the market for a notebook

I sent the following email to Dell, Acer and Toshiba:
Hi,

I am looking for a notebook with the following specifications and
would appreciate it if you could provide me with a quote:

AMD processor (32 bit)
80 GB hard disk
512 MB RAM
DVD/CD-RW drive
No operating system, no other system software
Linux-compatible

Thanks and regards,

Rajesh Jayaprakash
The folks at Dell and Acer have responded. Toshiba (more precisely, their resellers in India, HCL) have not condescended to send a reply. However, even in the case of Dell and Acer, the responses were more along the lines of 'let us know your contact details and we'll get in touch with you'. Looks like they do not want to send quotes to an email address. I then sent them my address and phone number, but haven't heard from them yet.

There's an ad today in The Hindu for a Thinkpad that costs about Rs 34,000 and pretty much meets my specs. I am not very satisfied with my earlier IBM purchase (the ThinkCentre I am typing this from), and with IBM selling its PC business to Lenovo, I am hesitant to turn to Big Blue again.