Saturday, October 08, 2005

Google Reader

Google has entered the online news aggregator business. Initial impression: I am sticking with Bloglines. Reasons:
  1. The annoying always-on 'Keep unread' thingummy (which also partly obscures the news item's heading)

  2. I am not able to see the exact number of unread posts. It's just 'more than 20'.

  3. I cannot see all the news items in a feed. I have to keep pressing Up and Down to navigate from one item to another.

  4. When I import an OPML file, it does not fetch me any items at all, but only assures me that new items from now on would be displayed. Can't it display, say, the 20 most recent items instead?
On a general note, I think Google has added unnecessary bells and whistles; Bloglines appears to have a stolen a march over Google in sticking to the keep-it-simple-and-elegant principle.