Saturday, July 30, 2005

RIP, little guy

A couple of days ago one of my dogs got hold of a baby rat in my room (probably one of the relatives of the culprit who cost me a mouse and a watch strap some time back). I managed to save the creature's life, but not before it suffered some crippling injuries. The poor thing lost the use of its hind legs completely and could only move by painfully dragging its useless hind portion. It was really painful and poignant to see it try to deal with the cruel hand that fate had dealt it so early in life, and attempt to get on with its life.

I tried to alleviate its suffering somewhat by trying to feed it some crumbs, but it looks like it was not enough. After struggling for two days, the little guy passed on. My sadness is somewhat mitigated by the knowledge that at least he won't suffer any more.