Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Man United are out of the Champions' League. My happiness would have been complete if Chelsea had joined them too. Not that I have anything against Chelsea per se; I just want to see the arrogant smirk wiped off Jose Mourinho's mug.

Though both the matches were pretty gripping affairs, the Chelsea/Barcelona match will go down in the annals of European football as one of the all-time classics. When I switched over to ESPN after the completion of the Milan/United game, the scoreline read 3-2 in Chelsea's favour (I was watching the replays -- I impose a news blackout on myself so that when I watch the replays, they are, to all intents and purposes, live matches for me), but the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge was pretty subdued. Turns out Barcelona had pulled two goals back, after trailing 0-3. But this was to be the end of their fightback.

The third match of the day is a contender for Ripley's Believe It Or Not: Lyon thrashing Werder Bremen 7-2.