Friday, January 18, 2013

January 18, 2012

Well, it looks like beheadings by both sides are pretty common:
Despicable as the alleged beheading of Indian soldiers by the Pak­i­s­t­anis was that led to the present military crisis, the fact is that both armies are or have been in it to­g­e­ther. India’s ace TV anchor Barkha Dutt will do the country and the community of journalists a great service by speaking up at this time. She gave the following eyewitness account of the Kargil War to more or less affirm a tradition of beheading the enemy that unfortunately seems to exist on both sides and pe­r­haps straddles other countries too. And I quote from writer-acti­vi­st Shuddhabrata Sengupta’s web­po­st for the piece Barkha Dutt published in Himal magazine in June 2001. 
“I had to look three times to make sure I was seeing right. Bal­a­nced on one knee, in a tiny alley behind the Army’s administrative offices, I was peering through a hole in a corrugated tin sheet. At first glance, all I could see were some leaves. I looked harder and amidst all the green, there was a hint of black — it looked like a moustache. ‘Look again,’ said the Army Colonel, in a tone that betrayed suppressed excitement. This time, I finally saw. It was a head, the disembodied face of a slain soldier nailed on to a tree. ‘The boys got it as a gift for the brigade,’ said the Colonel, softly, but proudly.”