Sunday, May 11, 2008

How to Retire Early

The latest issue of Outlook Money has a story on how to retire early (no, it doesn't advise a glass of hot milk at 8 PM). It features the stories of five people who managed to do this successfully. Being the skeptic I am, I didn't have much confidence in their advice, but I wanted to see what these five people had done.

To cut a long story short, if you want to retire early in life, do one (or all) of these things:
  • Get a golden parachute, and let your wife continue to work (retiring early doesn't apply to your spouse, apparently)
  • Spend a lot of time overseas, leverage the exchange rate, quit your high-paying job and become a consultant
  • Make your fortune as a partner in a PE firm (that's private equity; yeah, three months back I too would have gone 'huh?')
  • Buy two houses (live in one; use the rent from the other for living costs)
  • Sell your stock options
In other words, if you want to become rich, you should make a lot of money. Gee, thanks a lot, I only wish I had known this when I was starting out on my career.