Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mystic Microsoft

I am reading Kraig Brockschmidt's autobiography, and this paragraph at the very end of Chapter 4 caught my attention:
For me, total acceptance of my situation helped me let go of what I thought my career should look like, and once I let go, the right things started happening almost without effort. It wasn't long before I was able to look back on my "failure" and know that I just wouldn't have had it any other way.
I've been grappling with this question for quite some time: Does the universe only wish the best for us, and any setbacks that we face are really course corrections that set us on truly happier paths, or is it just that our brains/minds are hardwired to make the best of a situation -- so that we are spared the agony of painfully lingering over what happened?

To be fair, there have been instances in my life which, in retrospect, were really for the best, but can this be attributed to a benevolent universe instead of random chance?

I guess it's ultimately a question of faith.