Monday, July 10, 2006

Here's where all the Zen training comes in handy

  1. I mistakenly assumed that the final would start at the same time as the earlier matches. Set the alarm for 12:25 AM and went to sleep, only to be woken up at 11:50 or so by shouts of joy from next door. Hurriedly jumped out of bed and switched on the TV, to find that the match had been in progress for 20 minutes, and that I had missed two goals.

  2. The power went off shortly. The inverter mercifully kicked in, and I was able to continue watching the match.

  3. Spent a miserable hour and a half, fearing the worst every time France looked like they would overrun Italy's defences.

  4. Bittersweet moment as Zidane gets red-carded. Good for Italy, but man, what a way for Zizou to bid adieu.

  5. Just as the penalties are about to get underway, the inverter's batteries finally run out of juice.

  6. I spend the next ten minutes or so in pitch darkness, listening to my neighbours' shouts of joy as they cheer the result of each penalty kick (did I mention that everybody in our street have electricity except me?).

  7. There is a final, humongous celebration all around as one team is finally left standing.

  8. There is a stoic smile on my face as I shake my head, switch off the dead TV and lights, and return to bed.

  9. Just before I fall asleep, it strikes me that, had I not had my laptop on for the duration of the match, the inverter's batteries might very well have lasted another 15 minutes, and that I could have seen Italy lift the Cup. Oh well.