Saturday, April 22, 2006

Movie Review: After the Sunset

I hate Salma Hayek. I hate her affected mannerisms, I hate the fact that she cannot a) act her way out of a paper bag and b) appear in a single scene without showing at least 43.65% of her total skin surface area.

I don't hate Pierce Brosnan; in fact, I consider him the best 007 of all. But he is a pale shadow of his usual charming and dapper self in this movie. Speaking of shadows, couldn't he have at least gotten a shave or two, at least for some of the scenes?

I like Woody Harrelson. Though his role doesn't allow him to be as cocky as he would prefer to be, he does turn in a pretty decent performance.

Did I like the movie? Well, not really. For one thing, it really wanders all over the place -- there is this comic scene when Brosnan and Harrelson go fishing that, though quite funny in itself, doesn't really sit well with the rest of the movie, there are some gratuitous shots of Ms Hayek's butt, some supposedly tender romantic exchanges between Brosnan and Hayek, some not-so-tender 'romantic' exchanges between Brosnan and Harrelson, a few poorly executed action sequences and a completely unbelievable diamond heist scene at the end.