Friday, March 24, 2006

Gnome peeves

[Note: I plan to keep adding to this post as I go along. I may have become inured to the KDE way of doing things, so I am going to persist with Gnome 2.14 for a while more.]
  1. There is no way to set the font for the time/date display in the panel.

  2. The date occupies premium space in the panel by appearing adjacent to the time instead of below it.

  3. Most of the configuration dialog boxes have no 'Apply' button, but directly apply the changes

  4. There is no option for a slideshow of wallpapers by specifying a directory of images.

  5. The option to toggle desktop icons is not available in the context menu when you right-click on the desktop. You have to invoke the Configuration Editor and dig into the settings to do this.

  6. Nautilus opens new windows for each folder as I navigate into a folder hierarchy.