Saturday, September 03, 2005

Sycophancy

I am not against people according due respect to their bosses, but can't this show of respect be at least a bit more measured? Case in point: when I was driving to work the other day, I happened to find myself behind a police vehicle. Since it was doing a fair bit of speed, I decided to tag along behind it. One advantage of doing so is that you can switch to autopilot mode and simply ensure that you keep a nice, safe distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you -- no need to keep a constant lookout for the pesky jaywalkers and unpredictable two wheelers. Anyway, as our mini-convoy approached a junction, the traffic cop manning it immediately sprang to attention and saluted the occupant of the police vehicle. As we passed more and more junctions (I counted at least three before I had to make my turn), this spectacle was repeated like clockwork at each of them, the only variation being the alacrity with which the cops sprang to action (some of them were a bit slow in paying their respects; I wouldn't be surprised if they were later chewed out for this).