Thursday, July 28, 2005

myHQ.com

MyBookmarks.com is supposed to be back up and running shortly, but in the meantime I decided to try out myHq.com. I am glad I did, because it is equally good, if not better. Though it doesn't have features like collapsible folders, the UI is really neat and uncluttered (no banner ads). There is also no need to scroll up and down to navigate through your bookmarks; judicious arrangement of the various categories can ensure that everything fits in a single screen (although the position mechanism needed a bit of effort to grasp -- can't say I have mastered it, but I now know enough to try out different numbers and get the layout I need).

I think there is a lesson here; in such a competitive environment, you cannot afford to slip even a little bit; every minor setback (whatever it is that is causing MyBookmarks.com's outage) carries with it a risk of losing marketshare.