Thursday, May 05, 2005

PSV Eindhoven 3 - 1 AC Milan

Andy Gray got it right when he said that the best team did not get through to the final; Milan's performance reminds me of how Argentina sneaked into the Italia '90 final after not doing anything special (though, to be fair, Milan were nowhere near as negative as the Argentines).

When I checked the program listings in the newspaper, I found that the match was scheduled to be relayed between 8:30 PM and 10:30 PM (IST). I didn't think much of this when I started watching the match. But after PSV had scored their second goal, it suddenly struck me: the match hadn't gone into extra time, since the time slot allotted for the replay was not sufficient, implying that there was at least one more goal to come. But I didn't realise then that there was also big time heartbreak ahead.

P.S. The PSV fans were thoroughly rude to Milan's Seedorf, a Dutchman, booing and whistling whenever he played the ball. But not a peep from them regarding Stam, who is also a Dutchman, and an ex-PSV player to boot. What's up with that?

P.P.S. No offence, but is Vennegoor of Hesselink a count?