Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Mobile phones have a mode of text entry called iTap (mine does, anyway) where the software in the phone tries to guess what word you are typing. For example, if you want to type in the word 'while', you type 'wggjd' (these letters are the first of each letter group in the keypad - wxyz, ghi, ghi, jkl and def); the software interprets this correctly. Really speeds up your typing.

I was reminded of this when I discovered a similar feature in OpenOffice. I typed in 'pers' and this was completed as 'perspective' (don't ask me why it didn't select 'perspire' -- probably 'perspective' comes out ahead in some frequency analysis) which was the word I wanted. Pretty cool feature; imagine the amount of time I could save by having the software helpfully filling in words for me. The only problem is that I don't use OpenOffice at work. Time to investigate whether MS Word has this feature (knowing what a piece of monopolistic crap it is, it probably doesn't).