Monday, September 13, 2004

I know it's no fun being exposed to the fury of hurricanes as is happening right now in Cuba, Jamaica and parts of America, but I find the idea of hunkering down in one's home with no electricity, with winds howling and rain lashing the battened-down windows, with just a battery-operated radio that transmits information about how far away the storm is (and how quickly it is approaching you) quite pleasant, actually. There are probably two reasons for this: a) this scenario reminds me of the typical murder mystery in which a bunch of people are caught during a rainstorm in an isolated cabin/mansion with a murderer amongst them and b) I have experienced this personally and enjoyed the forced vacation from school (the fact that our roof wasn't blown away when I was taking a dump in the bathroom probably played a part, too).