Saturday, September 18, 2004

Firefox 1.0 Pre-Release Candidate is available for download, but I don't think it is ready for prime time yet (the Linux version, at least). It breaks many of the useful extensions that work with 0.9.3. Also, for some reason, the 'Get More Extensions' link in the Extensions window refused to work. To top it all off, when I tried running 0.9.3 (I had installed 1.0PR separately), I found that it was also behaving erratically (the Adblock extension kept appearing on and off, depending on whether I invoked it from the KDE Panel or from the command line). I restored sanity by knocking off 1.0, renaming my profile folder in 0.9.3 and re-installing my extensions.

I am not bad-mouthing Firefox, BTW. I still think it is a great browser. All power to the folks at Mozilla. I only hope that they kiss and make up with Arvid Axelsson so that Qute becomes the default theme once again.