Saturday, May 08, 2004

What's the deal with music videos? Why do we like them? Here goes:

Music videos fall into three categories: a) those with a single theme running through them, b) 'disjointed' music videos in which different images are spliced together and c) ones in which the band is simply playing the song (even concert footage sometimes).

We like the first category of videos because they present something novel and unique, something that we would not see in a TV serial or a movie. Evanescence's "Bring me to life" would fit into this category (as would most of U2's works).

The second category appeals to our right brain; we are stimulated by the random images and ideas presented; they set our creative juices flowing.

The last category doesn't have anything going for it, except the music itself.

Of course, we also like videos in which three guys run naked in the streets of LA!

My personal favourite is Lenny Kravitz's "Believe," in which he is the lone astronaut awaiting an unknown fate, about to be blasted off in a spaceship. It is a very powerful metaphor for someone facing incredible odds without any help and relying on his faith to see him through. The climax (rocket taking off) coincides with a superb guitar riff, too.

The worst video I have ever seen is The Bee Gees' "Staying Alive." The whole fricken video is simply the three brothers walking down the street (and singing, of course), with bad haircuts and even worse clothes. To be fair, this video was made in the seventies, when there was no concept of engaging a director to do the video. A great song, though.

Speaking of music videos, next time you happen to stumble across a rap video, watch it with the mute on. You will then catch what the rapper (and all his homies) are really saying: look at me, I am rich, I wear a lot of jewelry, look at all these big bosomed women gyrating wildly and rubbing themselves all over me, ain't I a great guy or what? Ain't I? Ain't I?

Did I mention that I hate rap music?