Wednesday, May 19, 2004

PayPal sucks.

I made a payment through them for a Fedora Core CD set about five weeks ago, but have not received the CDs yet. It seems PayPal cannot do anything regarding this; their brief ends with taking my money and depositing it into the account of the seller (who, BTW, is reachable only through an email address -- even that is a Yahoo address, making it completely anonymous).

I first sent a polite email to the seller inquiring about the status of my order; no reply to that. Next I contacted PayPal, who claimed an inability to do anything since more than 30 days had elapsed since the order was placed. However, they suggested that I have a look at their Buyer Protection Program for the options available to me.

I then sent a slightly less polite email to the seller asking them to refund the money. No go. Guess I'll have to chalk it up as the cost of learning about the pitfalls of online commerce.

The most galling thing is that PayPal have the temerity to request me to take an online survey two days after they blew me off, and to let them know about my experiences using PayPal. My only feedback is to ask them to take their service and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Here's one customer you'll never hear from again, pal.