Saturday, April 23, 2005

Roadkill

The East Coast Road is a very scenic highway that runs along the Bay of Bengal, connecting Chennai to the other coastal cities of Tamil Nadu. There are some breathtaking spots along the way -- dense casuarina groves, isolated beaches, and so on. I am planning to shoot some pics and upload them here, as soon as I get a digital camera.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to comment on the ECR, but rather on the plight of dogs that stray on to the path of vehicles speeding along this road. Every once in a while, I come across the remains of some poor dog or puppy (I even saw a cat once -- makes me question the whole cats-have-nine-lives thing) run over by a truck. When this happens, the whole day starts off on the wrong foot for me.

The thing is, there seems to be a morbid fascination here; I simply can't look away from the mess as I pass it; I have to get a good look, even if it makes me nauseous. The flip side is the relief I feel when I spy some splat on the road ahead, and upon coming closer, realise that it is nothing more than a piece of paper or cloth.

Once I saw the remains of a dog by the side of the median that showed the phrase "ash to ash...dust to dust" in a whole new light as it decomposed over the three or four days I passed the spot on the way to work.

*Heads over to penisbot.com to take mind off macabre things*